If you’re feeling a little adventurous and exploratory this is the trip for you! Elk Island, situated just off the shores of Victoria Beach, one hour north of Winnipeg. Stand up paddlers will have the opportunity to experience paddling in a big water setting with experienced guides on Lake Winnipeg – Canada’s sixth largest freshwater lake.
Elk Island’s shoreline is lined with beautiful white sand beaches, large rocky boulders, and a boreal forest backdrop. Along our way we will have the opportunity to view a variety of birds, including grebes, loons, pelicans, sand hill cranes, and eagles. Depending on the lake conditions and group dynamics, we might circumnavigate the island.
Paddle with our professional guides and learn or improve your stand up paddleboarding skills along the way.
- Prerequisites: Successful completion of our Advanced SUP course or equivalent skill and knowledge. Participants must be at least 16 years of age, and should be in reasonable physical condition. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
- 4:1 student to instructor ratio: Giving you the best in personalized instruction and feedback.
- All technical paddling gear: Stand up paddleboard, adjustable paddle, PFD, and whistle. You are welcome to bring and learn on your own paddling gear if you have it (please note course fees remain the same).
Please see the Gear and Clothing tab for a list of what you are required to bring.
Course Cancellation: It is rare that we cancel a session due to weather considerations however we will do so if, in our judgement, the conditions are dangerous or are likely to present a poor learning environment.
- We will meet at the Hardcore Surf and Paddleboard Company (211 Pacific) at 9:00 AM. This will give you ample time to organize your gear, arrange carpooling, and ask any questions you may have.
- Paddle Distance – approximately 16 km to circumnavigate the island.
- Your guide will provide pointers on many topics that may include: how to increase your forward efficiency, paddling posture and conditioning for longer distances, and paddling in wind and chop. There is never a shortage of topics to discuss or things to work on. This paddle will have an informal feel to it so come ready to ask any questions to your guide that you may be working on or wishing to improve at the time.
Gear and Clothing
We provide the technical paddling gear that you will need appropriate to the course as part of your course costs:
- Brand name paddleboards by Badfish, Boardworks, Blue Planet, Red Paddle.
- Adjustable paddle, leash, PFD, signal whistle, throwbag, helmet.
- You are welcome to bring and learn on your own paddling gear if you have it. (Please note course fees remain the same.)
You will need to bring your own personal gear and clothing for the session:
- Cold water immersion clothing is a must. As a minimum we recommend a shorty style neoprene wetsuit or one-piece neoprene paddle top combined with neoprene shorts or leggings.
- For warmer season/conditions: quick-dry or warm-when-wet outdoor athletic gear. Think paddle tops, rashguards, breathable hiking layers, merino wool, boardshorts ,athletic swimwear.
- Insulating layers, weatherproof shell layers.
- Towel and warm, dry change of clothes (just in case!)
- Secure protective footwear such as water shoes, paddle shoes, neoprene paddle/surf booties or sport sandals.
- Headwear: sun hat, toque (warm hat), sunglasses with straps.
- Any personal first aid, medications, sunscreen etc.
- Waterproof and floatable camera.
- Small dry bag to store your gear
- Food for the day, high energy snacks, drinking water.
- Thermos with hot drink for cool days.
Victoria Beach, Manitoba
Course Date & Time
July 22, 2017
Bookings are closed for this event.
Event details and payment information will be sent to you through email.
Download event iCal