7:00 am - 11:00 am
Enjoy our beautiful city from the water. The Assiniboine River is located in the heart of Winnipeg and follows a gorgeous course passed many parks and elegant homes en route to the Forks for our morning coffee. Paddle with our professional guides and learn or improve your stand up paddleboarding skills along the way. This tour includes Paddle Canada certified guides, coffee, and shuttle service.
- Prerequisites: Successful completion of our Basic SUP course or equivalent skill and knowledge. Participants must be at least 16 years of age.
- Course includes: On-water SUP instruction from certified and experienced Paddle Canada instructors, coffee, and shuttle service.
- 4: 1 student to instructor ratio: Giving you the best in personalized instruction and feedback.
- All technical paddling gear: Stand up paddleboard, adjustable paddle, PFD, and whistle. You are welcome to bring and learn on your own paddling gear if you have it (please note course fees remain the same).
Please see the Gear and Clothing tab for a list of what you are required to bring.
Course Cancellation: It is rare that we cancel a session due to weather considerations however we will do so if, in our judgement, the conditions are dangerous or are likely to present a poor learning environment.
- We will meet at Bourkevale Park at 7:00 AM. The park is located at the south end of Ferry Road and Assiniboine Ave. Parking is available in the dog park parking lot.
- Paddle Distance – approximately 8 km (from Bourkevale Park to The Forks). The Assiniboine River is relatively shallow and safe to paddle. Our tour will encounter minor swifts and riffles as we pass under bridges.
- Your Paddle Canada certified instructors will provide pointers on many topics that may include: how to increase your forward efficiency, paddling posture and conditioning for longer distances, basic current, river features such as eddies and river waves. There is never a shortage of topics to discuss or things to work on. This paddle will have an informal feel to it so come ready to ask any questions to your guide that you may be working on or wishing to improve at the time.
- A shuttle will transport everyone back to their vehicles after enjoying our morning cup of coffee at the Forks.
Gear and Clothing
We provide the technical paddling gear that you will need appropriate to the course as part of your course costs:
- Brand name paddleboards by Badfish, Boardworks, Blue Planet, Red Paddle.
- Adjustable paddle, leash, PFD, signal whistle, throwbag, helmet.
- You are welcome to bring and learn on your own paddling gear if you have it. (Please note course fees remain the same.)
You will need to bring your own personal gear and clothing for the session:
- Cold water immersion clothing is a must. As a minimum we recommend a shorty style neoprene wetsuit or one-piece neoprene paddle top combined with neoprene shorts or leggings.
- For warmer season/conditions: quick-dry or warm-when-wet outdoor athletic gear. Think paddle tops, rashguards, breathable hiking layers, merino wool, boardshorts ,athletic swimwear.
- Insulating layers, weatherproof shell layers.
- Towel and warm, dry change of clothes (just in case!)
- Secure protective footwear such as water shoes, paddle shoes, neoprene paddle/surf booties or sport sandals.
- Headwear: sun hat, toque (warm hat), sunglasses with straps.
- Any personal first aid, medications, sunscreen etc.
- Waterproof and floatable camera.
- Small dry bag to store your gear
- Extra money for breakfast at The Forks
- Food for the weekend, high energy snacks, drinking water.
- Thermos with hot drink for cool days.
- Camping equipment: tent, sleeping bag, cooking utensils, stove, etc.
1 Forks Market Rd
Course Date & Time
July 30, 2017
7:00 am - 11:00 am
Bookings are closed for this event.
Event details and payment information will be sent to you through email.
Download event iCal